|NEXTSTEP to OPENSTEP Changes Overview:
- a layer of operating system and hardware independence.
- NSString, insulates your code from the different character encodings .
Distributed Objects - easier than ever
- share information between processes without using operating system calls. Simplified archiving - same for DO as for local.
Everything is an Object
- events, exceptions, colors, screens, and DPSContexts are now objects.
- It also provides better encapsulation and future extensibility.
Truly Internationalized Applications
- write truly internationalized code, code that will work with any writing system supported by the Unicode standard.
New Memory Management
- reference counting scheme
- OPENSTEP API works the same remotely as it does locally.
Cleaner, Simpler API
-better compile-time type checking.
-methods that used to return self by convention now return void.
- classes with more complex APIs have been simplified.